Monday, July 9, 2012

Resolving Conflict





It is very important for a department manager to be a clear communicator.  That is, knowing how to tactfully and effectively deliver any type of news and in this case, how to deliver bad news.  In order for employees to take their manager’s word in good times, they need to choose their words wisely.  It is also important to begin a difficult conversation by listening.  At times, employees are going through personal problems or problems within the workplace that managers aren’t aware of and all they need is someone to listen. 

As I mentioned above, I would start by listening instead of talking.  I would sit down with this employee and try to get to the bottom of this by finding out why he/she is having such confrontational behavior.  I would start asking questions such as “How are you doing?”, “How are you feeling?” etc., and I would just stay quiet to listen to him/her answer.  Letting the employee know that I care for their well being as well, will help built that trust that an employee should have with their boss.

It will eventually get to the point where I start the talking but I must look relaxed and look straight into the employee’s eyes.  As I respond, I would use a word or two from the previous sentences the employee said so that he/she realizes that I am paying attention to what is being said.  I’ve noticed that doing so helps a conversation run smoothly because both the speaker and the receiver are listening to each other.  Also, being courteous to one another will help us remain constructive even under pressure.    

Trying to get straight to the point isn’t very smart because it would make the employee nervous and might not speak with the truth in order to not lose his/her job.  Instead, I would explore perceptions before trying to define reality.  I would ask him/her if they thought their behavior has been acceptable these past few days/weeks and take it from there.  After getting to the point of the meeting, the problem will be discussed and I would try to make sure the conversation stays in a comfort zone so that I can be spoken to with the truth.  I think in order to solve a problem effectively; the listener needs to understand where the other person is coming from.    

The first thing that comes to mind is that he/she will say that they are having personal problems and haven’t been able to focus at work like they should be doing.  We would then have to set out the facts and agree on the objective together.  Observing elements that could have an impact on the decision is also a good idea.  Exploring options together helps open the idea that there might be a third position might or might not exist and if you work effectively, you can get to this idea together. 
            Depending on how he/she has been answering questions and reacting to what I’ve had to ask and say, then it will show me if the person really wants to stay or not.  If I am showed that the person would like another opportunity to remain in the business, then I would give it to them.  I would let him/her know that they need to prove to me that these types of situations will not happen again because customer satisfaction is very important and so is getting along with co-workers.  Focusing on the issue and not on the person is the key here and that is exactly how I would go by solving this problem once and for all.  Managers should always be calm, patient, and respectful because that is what invites employees to trust managers and creates a great and warm environment to work in.

2 comments:

  1. I like the overall look of your blog. It has a warm and inviting feel. I have a hard time reading the text; it is too small for an old timer like me. It also would be more appealing if the text color was all the same color. Love the content, the message you are communicating is clear, and full of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    I've made the font bigger and bold so that it wouldn't be so hard to read. I do find it to be better as well, people won't have to squint their eyes to read better. I've also made the text color white on all my blogs so that they match and it is the color that stands out the most with the type of background that I have. Thank you for your feedback.

    Xiomara

    Xiomara

    ReplyDelete